The University of Minnesota Sea Grant Program is funding five research projects involving Lake Superior. The funding, which is provided by the National Sea Grant College Program and matched by the University of Minnesota, collectively totals over $886,000. The funded projects and researchers for 2012-2014 are:
- Endocrine Mimics Disrupt Developing Bass
- Estuary Hotspots for Microbes Reflect Water Chemistry
- Low Light, Eyesight and Deepwater Foraging Success
- Rusting Predictor: Understanding the Bacteria that Steals Port Steel
- What Fuels Lake Superior's Food Webs?