Projects & Funding
The grants we award fund research led by a faculty member from a Minnesota academic institution and include support for a graduate research assistant. Staff, an advisory committee, partnering organizations, scientists, and the public help to identify research needs. Minnesota Sea Grant issues a competitive request for proposals (RFP) biennially. The director also has development funds that are available for exploratory research.
External grants and partnerships drive and strengthen many of our outreach projects. Our extension educators and communications team ensure that accurate information on such things as aquatic invasive species, coastal community planning, water quality, fisheries and aquaculture, and maritime transportation reaches the right audiences in a timely way.
- Follow Minnesota Sea Grant on Facebook
- Follow Minnesota Sea Grant on Twitter
- K-12 educator opportunities in Duluth and Finland, Minn. Meet scientists, learn about Lake Superior.
- Minnesota Sea Grant‘s newsletter
- By following a simple procedure each time we leave the water, we can stop aquatic hitchhikers.
- Lake Superior rip currents will now be forecast by the Duluth Weather Service Office. Learn how to escape the grip of the rip!
- A radio program and podcast about research concerning aquatic systems and coastal communities.
- Collection of Social, RSS, and Podcast feeds
- Support our work through a tax-deductible donation
- Managing water on land 'cause we all live downstream.
- Adopt a conservation mentality. Protect our environment by not releasing unwanted fish and aquatic plants.
- Extensive information on Duluth's 42 named streams as well as those along Minnesota's North Shore
- Each May over 1,000 Duluth-Superior 6th graders board the Vista Star to learn about the estuary and the people who work there. Celebrated 20 years in 2012!