Projects & Funding
The grants we award fund research led by a faculty member from a Minnesota academic institution and include support for a graduate research assistant. Staff, an advisory committee, partnering organizations, scientists, and the public help to identify research needs. Minnesota Sea Grant issues a competitive request for proposals (RFP) biennially. The director also has development funds that are available for exploratory research.
External grants and partnerships drive and strengthen many of our outreach projects. Our extension educators and communications team ensure that accurate information on such things as aquatic invasive species, coastal community planning, water quality, fisheries and aquaculture, and maritime transportation reaches the right audiences in a timely way.
- Follow Minnesota Sea Grant on Facebook
- Follow Minnesota Sea Grant on Twitter
- Managing water on land 'cause we all live downstream.
- Lake Superior rip currents will now be forecast by the Duluth Weather Service Office. Learn how to escape the grip of the rip!
- Minnesota Sea Grant‘s newsletter
- FREE Lake Superior Screensaver from Minnesota Sea Grant. Photographs by
Chris J. Benson.
- A 10-chef, 1-fish Celebration
- A radio program and podcast about research concerning aquatic systems and coastal communities.
- Collection of Social, RSS, and Podcast feeds
- Support our work through a tax-deductible donation
- Adopt a conservation mentality. Protect our environment by not releasing unwanted fish and aquatic plants.
- Extensive information on Duluth's 42 named streams as well as those along Minnesota's North Shore
- Advancing ocean sciences education
- Each May over 1,000 Duluth-Superior 6th graders board the Vista Star to learn about the estuary and the people who work there. Celebrating 20 years in 2012!