Hooked on Fish!
Chipotle Grilled Fish Tacos with Cilantro Slaw by Brenda Washnock
Brenda Washnock, who lives on Michigan's Lake Superior shore, won the Hooked on Fish Recipe Contest, hosted by Northland's NewsCenter and the University of Minnesota Sea Grant College Program. Her winning dish, "Chipotle Grilled Fish Tacos with Cilantro Slaw," earned $100 and praise for its distinctive flavor.
The Hooked on Fish Recipe Contest encouraged people to purchase and cook with sustainably managed and harvested fish. For more information about choosing sustainable seafood, see the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's FishWatch website at: www.fishwatch.gov.
Chipotle Grilled Fish Tacos with Cilantro Slaw (by Brenda Washnock)
- 1 - Salmon filet sliced into taco manageable pieces
- 16 - Flour tortillas
- 1 - Chipotle pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp. - Sauce from chipotle pepper can
- 1 - Clove of garlic, pressed
- Juice of one-half large lemon
- Juice of one-half small lime
- 2 Tbsp. - Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. - Soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp. - Oregano
- Combine marinade ingredients and puree in a blender. Set aside a small amount to use after fish is cooked. Place fish in marinade, thoroughly coat, refrigerate at least 15 min.
- Grill fish pieces until they get a brown coating. Flip fish over and just barely finish the cooking. Do not overcook.
- Prepare the slaw as directed.
- Heat the tortillas.
- Take a tortilla and stack it with the grilled fish and slaw and enjoy.
Cilantro Cabbage Slaw:
- 4 cups - Red or green cabbage or combo, shredded
- 1/2 - Purple onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup - Vinegar
- 1/4 cup - Olive oil
- 1/4 cup - Fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup - Sugar
- 1/2 tsp. - Salt
- 1/2 tsp. - Fresh ground pepper
Cilantro Cabbage Slaw Instructions:
- Combine cabbage and onion. Blend remaining ingredients thoroughly and toss with cabbage mixture. Let sit for at least an hour.
This chipotle barbecue sauce is delicious. For fish tacos, slice skinless, boneless fillets into small pieces so that one or two will fit into a small flour tortilla. Grill fish on an enamel-coated grill topper until done. Place fish in a pre-warmed soft flour tortilla. Top with Cilantro cabbage slaw. Larger pieces of fish can also be grilled and served with slaw on the side.
By Sea Grant Staff