Winner! A Salute to Lake Superior’s Sustainable Fisheries Professional Chef Cook-Off
by Sea Grant Staff
Lake Superior Bluefin Herring
"a black pepper potato encrusted entrée dressed with caviar crème fraiche."
Ron Bohnert, executive chef
Danny’s Bar and Grill,
Stoneridge Golf Club, Stillwater, MN
Potato Crusted Herring
Yield/Servings: Serves 4
- 4 lake herring fillets, skinned and boned
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 cups potato flakes
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, restaurant grind
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, olive oil blend
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh butter
- Dill, micro parsley, as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Cut fillets on bias into two pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Dip in beaten eggs then in potato flakes mixed with black pepper.
- In heavy bottomed hot pan add oil blend and butter.
- Place fish in pan and lightly brown; turn and finish cooking.
- Remove from pan and place on paper towels.
- Wipe out pan and add fresh butter, lemon and dill herb; melted butter mix
should be spooned over fish at service.
Caviar Cream Fraiche
- 1 cup Vermont crème fraiche
- 2 tablespoons lake herring roe
- 2 tablespoons salmon roe
- 1 tablespoon shallot minced
- 2 tablespoons chardonnay
- 2 tablespoons vodka
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dill, chives
- Sweat minced shallot in wine, reducing wine by half.
- Add vodka and burn off.
- Add cream fraiche, stir and remove from heat.
- Add both roe and season with lemon, salt and pepper.
- Add herbs and ladle over cooked fish fillets.