Facebook logo Twitter logo YouTube logo Podcast logo RSS feed logo

Great Lakes Commission Gains Minnesota Grad

Tomas Jabush conducting research on a boat

Tomas Jabusch

To Germans it's "Wasser." The French call it "eau." In English, it's "water." To Thomas Jabusch, the next Great Lakes Commission-Sea Grant Fellow, it's one of two passions. Jabusch's interest in water lured him from Germany, through Switzerland and Canada, to the University of Minnesota, where he has been studying how environmental toxins (PCB's) accumulate in phytoplankton.

Sea Grant researcher Deb Swackhamer guided Jabusch during his pursuit of a doctorate in Water Resources Science, which ended successfully in April. She enthusiastically recommended him for the Great Lakes Commission-Sea Grant Fellowship.

The fellowship offers Jabusch a year to work with science, policy, and communications professionals dedicated to environmental quality and sustainable economics in the Great Lakes region.

"I am particularly looking forward to the Commission's international perspectives on science and policy," said Jabusch. The Great Lakes Commission involves representatives from the eight Great Lakes states and the Canadian provinces of Ontario and Quebec.

"Communication, or connecting with people, is my other passion," said Jabusch. "My vision is to use my scientific knowledge and my interest in communication to protect the world's water resources and advocate for their sustainable use."

This vision meshes well with his upcoming year at the Great Lakes Commission office in Ann Arbor, Michigan, where he will study ways to coordinate the activities of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers throughout the Great Lakes basin and write for the Great Lakes Information Network.

"I believe that deep down, I'll always be a scientist, but I'd like to also try different roles beyond producing data and writing technical papers," said Jabusch. "I'm hoping that I'll be able to use this year to refine my own place on the continuum between water resources science and policy."

"Viel Glück" (German for "good luck"), Thomas!

By Sea Grant Staff
June 2002

Return to June 2002 Seiche

This page last modified on March 23, 2017     © 1996 – 2017 Regents of the University of Minnesota     The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Logo: NOAA Logo: UMD Logo: University of Minnesota Logo: University of Minnesota Extension