Facebook logo Twitter logo YouTube logo Podcast logo RSS feed logo

Where Are They Now?

Mark Hove

Mark Hove

Which Sea Grant researcher did you work with and what did you work on?

As an undergraduate, I worked with Anne Kapuscinski, professor of fisheries, wildlife, and conservation biology at the University of Minnesota, and Moe Nelson, now a biologist with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. I helped them study traits associated with genetic fitness in different strains of lake trout.

What do you do now?

I returned to the University's department of fisheries, wildlife, and conservation biology as a research biologist and also work for the biology department at Macalester College. I coordinate projects dealing with the life history of state- and federally-listed freshwater mussels, and the community and habitat dynamics of St. Croix River's native mussels. I am also exploring how bioassessment tools (fish, invertebrates, habitat, and water quality metrics) might help to identify low and high quality streams.

How did your work prepare you for your current job?

My experiences working on the Sea Grant project with Moe and Anne were instrumental in my career path. I realized how interesting and fun research could be and sought additional work within the department. My undergraduate opportunities led to my master's degree at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University and the recognition that research will be a lifelong passion.

What are some of your major achievements in the last few years?

Last year I served as the Minnesota Chapter of the American Fisheries Society president. I had previously spent several years working with this organization as an executive committee member, and co-coordinator of the chapter's Continuing Education program, among other things. I'm currently working with the Freshwater Mollusk Conservation Society, serving on the newsletter editorial board and co-producing the Society's Web page. I'm also a Recovery Team Member for federally-endangered Higgins eye mussel (Lampsilis higginsii).

Why do you think Sea Grant is a worthwhile organization?

I think Sea Grant does a good job supporting research that addresses questions important to a variety of interest groups. Also, Sea Grant is one of the most effective groups I can think of that conveys research findings to the public.

When you were in college, did you ever think you would be doing your current work?

When I was in college I hoped I would one day be employed as a state or federal biologist. As an undergraduate student, I didn't think I would become a research biologist. I didn't think I was smart enough. I guess I was wrong though, since I've been conducting research for over ten years now.

What is your dream job?

My dream job would be similar to the one that I have with a little more time for my family. I think it would be wonderful to continue serving as a research team coordinator at the University or possibly working for the Natural Heritage Program of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. I really enjoy working with non-game species and striving to improve ecosystem integrity.

By Sea Grant Staff
December 2001

Return to December 2001 Seiche

This page last modified on March 23, 2017     © 1996 – 2017 Regents of the University of Minnesota     The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Logo: NOAA Logo: UMD Logo: University of Minnesota Logo: University of Minnesota Extension