Facebook logo Twitter logo YouTube logo Podcast logo RSS feed logo

Where are They Now?

Which Sea Grant researcher did you work with as a graduate student and what did you work on?

At the University of Minnesota, I worked with Drs. Raymond Newman and Mary Henry for my M.S. on the trophic dynamics of ruffe (Gymnocephalus cernuus) in the St. Louis River Harbor, Lake Superior. I worked with Dr. George Spangler for my Ph.D. on the temporal signature technique for assigning age to fish.

What do you do now?

I am an assistant professor of mathematics at Northland College, a liberal arts/environmental college in Ashland, WI. I primarily teach statistics.

Derek Ogle

Derek Ogle

How did your graduate work prepare you for your current job?

During both my M.S. and Ph.D., it was clear that I could not adequately conduct my research and communicate my findings without a good understanding of statistics. Dr. Newman and Dr. Spangler encouraged me to learn as much statistics as I could. As a result, I took seven or eight courses and, because of the high quality of instruction I received, I became interested in the topic and how to teach it to students interested in natural resources.

Did you receive any awards or fellowships as a graduate student?

I received honorable mention for an oral presentation at the 52nd Midwest Fish and Wildlife Conference (1990). In addition, I was named in Who’s Who Among American Teachers (1998) for my work with a student on a science fair project concerning methods to age fish.

Have you received any noteworthy awards in the last few years?

In the last year I was awarded the “Teacher of the Year” award for Northland College and was named in Who’s Who Among American Teachers (2000).

Why do you think Sea Grant is a worthwhile organization?

Sea Grant helps develop young researchers, conducts important research, and provides quality outreach information. All three of these are vitally important aspects of science.

What’s your dream job?

What I do now - working for a quality institution, helping enthusiastic undergraduates develop skills for solving environmental and natural resource problems.

By Sea Grant Staff
June 2000

Return to June 2000 Seiche

This page last modified on March 23, 2017     © 1996 – 2017 Regents of the University of Minnesota     The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Logo: NOAA Logo: UMD Logo: University of Minnesota Logo: University of Minnesota Extension