Maritime Transportation Links
- American Steamship Company
- A pioneer in Great Lakes vessel transportation, the American Steamship Company’s Web site includes maps of trade routes on the Great Lakes for iron pellets, eastern coal, western coal, and limestone.
- Duluth Seaway Port Authority
- The Duluth Seaway Port Authority, created by the Minnesota Legislature, fosters regional maritime and trade development and serves as an advocate for port interests.
- Great Lakes Carriers’ Association (LCA)
- Lake Carriers’ Association is the trade association representing U.S. vessel operators on the Great Lakes. The LCA compiles statistical information on ships in service and the volume of cargo movement, both in U.S.-Flag “Lakers” and from major Great Lakes ports both in the U.S. and Canada.
- Great Lakes Cruising Coalition (GLCC)
- GLCC supports passenger ship cruising on the Great Lakes. It is a joint American-Canadian venture involving Great Lakes ports, towns, regions and the St. Lawrence Seaway.
- Great Lakes Maritime Research Institute
- This new institue funds research dedicated to developing and improving maritime commerce on the Great Lakes. It's been designated as a National Maritime Enhancement Institute by the Department of Transportation's Maritime Administration.
- Great Lakes Maritime Academy
- The Great Lakes Maritime Academy trains people to serve as business professionals and Merchant Marine officers aboard Great Lakes and ocean ships. It is a division of Northwestern Michigan College (NMC) and a partner of Ferris State University.
- Maritime Administration (MARAD)
- U.S. Department of Transportation’s Maritime Administration is responsible for promoting the development of a merchant marine sufficient to meet the needs of national defense and the domestic and foreign commerce of the U.S.
Other Maritime Transportation Links
- Real-time Vessel Traffic on Lake Superior
- View real-time ship data that includes the ship's name, MMSI number, position, speed, course, and heading.
- Highway H2O
- Highway H2O site describes the Great Lakes/seaway effort to get cargo back on the water to relieve congestion, cut air pollution, save fuel, and increase public safety.
- Great Lakes St. Lawrence Seaway System
- U.S. and Canadian St. Lawrence Seaway System website.
- Great Lakes and seaway shipping resources and photos.
- Great Lakes Commission
- See section on economy and transportation from this binational agency.
- Lake Superior Marine Museum Association
- Regular information from the Marine Museum and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in Duluth, Minnesota.
Canadian Ports and Information
Major Great Lakes Vessel Operators
Great Lakes Maritime Labor
Maritime Jobs and Ocean Careers
U.S. Government Agencies
Canadian Government Agencies